A good friend, client, and TEC member, Tim Radtke, is the CEO/Founder of TSR Solutions in Milwaukee, WI. www.tsrsolutions.com Tim has an excellent technology company and data center that helps companies create and sustain their critical technology infrastructure. The tagline for TSR is “Technology on Purpose.” Tim often jokes it should be “Technology on Purpose, […]
Author Archive for: jhowman
About John Howman
Professional CEO/COO for Mid-Sized Organizations As an entrepreneur, business and community leader since 1983, John Howman has led a variety of businesses—from technology to consumer products companies. John’s insight into people and his exceptional market analysis capabilities, combined with his business acumen and creativity, help create passionate, driven, and successful work teams. With over 20 years of experience in the IT industry, over 5 years in the consumer products industry, and 3 years as a CEO coach and turnaround specialist, John helps businesses
survive, improve, thrive, and ultimately… succeed!
John created Allied Consulting Group to assist small to mid-sized companies in
difficult business environments, with an emphasis on businesses in transition or in
need of interim leadership.
• Trusted Advisor
• Turnaround/Crisis Intervention
• Talent Assessment
• Talent Recruitment
• Product Development
• Strategic Planning
• Outsourcing & Resource Selection
• China Sourcing
Allied Consulting Group, Inc. (ACG):
The mission of ACG is to insure business success through strategy development, strategy
execution, and finding the right members for critical management teams.
Principal, Allied Consulting Group
Interim CEO/COO Work…
Led a overhead cost reduction for a Midwest, non-profit to move from a net loss to net
• Consolidated and collapsed management structure to achieve net savings in nearly
$2 Million, in less than 90 days.
• Ongoing coaching of CEO and COO to insure sustainable change.
Recently led a Milwaukee process controls company to reverse two years of significant
losses and return to profitability:
• Developed the first budget and facilitated first strategic planning process for
• Negotiated re-purchase of outstanding shares of stock from minority shareholder.
• Led a financial turnaround for a health-care software company and restructured the
company sales and management team:
• Identified source of fraud and terminated parties involved, saving company over
• Developed sales and marketing plan for organization.
Managing a Board of Directors Improvement process for a national buying
Assisted in product development and launch of new kitchen appliance.
Led the RFP Process to select a new bank with a $10 Million credit facility, treasury
and wealth management services.
Provide ongoing coaching and management consulting to assist in restructuring
leadership team of a $50 Million Manufacturer.
Turnaround Activities — Focused on privately held and mid-sized enterprises
• For profit and non-profit
• Part-time or interim CEO/COO
• CEO coaching
• Team building
• Assist in bankruptcies and receiverships
• Evaluate and implement new enterprise and business systems
• Facilitate Strategic Planning
• Work with banks and lenders
Website address: http://www.alliedcg.com
Blog address: http://www.tecsavvyceo.com
The Executive Committee (TEC), Milwaukee, Wisconsin:
The mission of TEC is to increase the effectiveness and enhance the lives of CEO’s. TEC
was born in 1957 in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. Today, TEC Wisconsin and TEC Michigan
boast a membership approaching 1000 CEOs and Presidents throughout these two states.
Additionally, TEC International, called Vistage, has over 15,000 members throughout the
Group Chair, TEC 20 & TEC 6
• Form Boards of Advisors of Presidents, CEO’s and Entrepreneurs
• Coach executives in “1 to 1” sessions
• Identify and select new members for TEC
• Select professional resources to meet CEO member’s needs.
• Facilitate confidential, in-depth discussions among TEC members
• Leads the TEC “Special Interest Meeting” program
• Developed radio program called “The Executive Committee” on WISN
Website address: http://www.tecmidwest.com
Blog address: http://tecsavvyceo.com
Raffel Comfort Sciences, LLC, Cedarburg, Wisconsin:
$6MM organization that develops and sells components to the OEM furniture industry
and consumer products in a variety of retail categories.
President, CEO, Managing Member
• Purchased business as a distressed entity with one partner
• Secured new China sourcing agreements
• Awarded two patents for consumer products
• Developed new product line and categories for retail channel
• Re-branded entire product line
• Outsourced all non-core business functions
• Built retail sales organization and manufacturers rep team
• Established new market for China manufactured Shiatsu Massage Chairs
• Implemented “Virtual Office” systems for accounting, CRM and other
internal systems to allow for location independent employees and reps
Allied Computer Group, Inc., Milwaukee, Wisconsin:
Founded Allied Computer Group in 1983 as a one-person computer sales company.
Allied grew to become one of the largest computer sales and service organizations in the
Midwest with over 350 employees and $55MM in revenue at its peak. Allied was a
pioneer in providing professional IT services on a billable basis. Personally worked with
many business executives developing effective IT strategies during the Y2K era.
Founder & Chairman
• Grew business from startup to $55MM in 15 years
• Acquired franchise rights from Inacom, Inc. of Omaha, Nebraska
• Separated high-volume, low-margin distribution from higher margin
professional services practice
• Developed the largest computer education business in Wisconsin
• Acquired, integrated and grew branch office in Appleton, Wisconsin
• Created unique hiring and recruiting system for IT professionals
The Computer Show with Ram and Rom:
“The Computer Show with Ram & Rom” was a nationally syndicated, call-in radio
program aimed at home and business computer users that originated in Milwaukee,
Wisconsin. Broadcasts were two hours on Saturday mornings. The Computer Show
became the top-rated weekend program at WISN AM-1130. It was also the first Internet
broadcast computer call-in program carried by Mark Cuban’s Broadcast.com network.
BS—Psychology, University of Wisconsin Milwaukee, May 1980
BOARD, PROFESSIONAL AND COMMUNITY ORGANIZATIONS
• Lutheran Social Services of Wisconsin and Upper Michigan, Board of
• CC&N, Pewaukee, WI. ESOP Organization, Board of Directors, 2012-
• Repete Corporation, Sussex, WI Private Company, Board of Advisors, 2010-
• The Executive Committee (TEC) member, speaker and Group Chair 1990—
• Metropolitan Milwaukee Association of Commerce (MMAC) Board Member,
1998 to 2008
• Young Presidents Organization (YPO), 1997 to 2004, Board member 2001—
• Worldwide Presidents Organization (WPO), 2007 to present, 2009-2010
• Inacom Dealer Executive Council, Member and Board President, 1990—1996
• Compaq Dealer Executive Council Board Member, 1987—1992
• Children’s Service Society of Wisconsin, Board Member 1998—2003
• Boys & Girls Clubs of Greater Milwaukee, Board Member 1996—2000
• Junior Achievement of Milwaukee, Board Member 1995—1999
Married, two children, Grafton, WI resident for 33 years. Avid motorcyclist, golfer
John R. Howman 1890 Maple Road Grafton, WI 53024
262.389.8000 firstname.lastname@example.org www.alliedcg.com
Entries by John Howman
We were about to lay off 20 percent of the team. We were losing money. I was close to being clinically depressed. While she never admitted it, I am quite sure my wife, Laura, was about ready to get rid of me as well. Suffice to say, 1996 was not my best year. I really […]
Thanks Matisse! I somewhat reluctantly (I am now embarrassed to say) attended the Henri Matisse retrospective at the Minneapolis Institute of Art. I freely admit to a limited appreciation for art, but this was a fantastic exhibition. And Matisse offered up some unexpected business lessons: “Each picture as I finish it, seems like the best […]
The Green Box By Adrian Geering from TEC Australia & John Howman, TEC Wisconsin Jim McArthur was a TEC Australia member. His father John was also a TEC member. John called his son Jim to let him know that he’d be flying to New Zealand the following day to try to close an important business […]
I recently completed two very different planning sessions in two different parts of the country. While the geography doesn’t matter, the results do. The first company (Company A) scheduled a two-day, off-site meeting at retreat center set in the woods. There was no internet access, we cooked our own food, and there was no alcohol […]
Every CEO Should Work in Customer Service At Least Once a Month John Howman — with Laura Gille One of my businesses is TranquilEase. I hold a patent for a portable Heated Stadium Cushion with a frame. Patent # 7438356 – a very nice product. Perfect for those frozen tundra games at Lambeau Field or […]